Wednesday, August 17, 2011

How It All Began.......

I little over a year ago, Nancy Campbell of Above Rubies, sponsored a book cover design contest.  It was for her new book 100 Days of Blessing.  She was offering the winner, not only the honor of having the cover design published, but a cash prize of $100.  So I decided to give it a go.

Part of the rules were that you had to call up Above Rubies and speak with Miss Nancy personally.  She wasn't there the first time I called, but returned the call soon after.  For those of you unfamiliar with the organization or Nancy Campbell, you're missing out.  It is an amazing ministry designed to encourage and support woman as wives, mothers, and homemakers.  Think about how you would feel if the latest TV or movie start called your home.  Well, that's how I felt hearing Miss Nancy ask for me when she called. 


The specifics of the contest in my hand, I downloaded a free trial version of Photoshop Elements and set to work.  It was amazing.  I loved the technical design aspect.  The precision.  I finished my design and sent it in.  

I was blessed that I didn't have to wait long.  Miss Nancy wrote me back and informed me that I WON!!!!!!  The next couple of weeks were a bit hextic.  Many emails and changes to the layout (file size, bleed, changes in text, etc) and it was finally done.  



100 Days of Blessing by Nancy Campbell-Cover Design by Kelly Barnes



But I wasn't.  That $100 went right back into designing.  I was able to purchase a Wacom Bamboo pen tablet
.   The additional blessing for me was that it came with a full version of Photoshop Elements 7.  This is now the program I use to design all my scrapbook pages.

Once the software was installed, I attempted my first scrapbook page. 

   
Step Into the Magic layout design by KB Custom Creations


And let me just tell you I did step into the Magic that day.  I was hooked on  Digital Scrapbooking.  In traditional scrapbooking (the paper kind) you're very limited.  Paper, pictures, stickers, etc. are not only what you can find, but the exact size and color you find them.  Not with digi scrapping.  You can change the size, color, shadow, shape, transparency.  The list goes on and on.  I was always so frustrated with traditional scrapbooking.  I couldn't get what was in my mind's eye onto the paper.  Now I can.  My imagination can run wild. 

I'm learning as I go.  It's an incredible creative journey.  Hope you'll come along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment